Mothers-to-be come across a very important decision to make about the nutrition of their newborns: breast-milk vs. formula milk. However, no matter what you choose people are going to criticize it, so just choose what’s best for both of you.
Breast-milk is the best nutrition for newborns according to The American Academy of Pediatrics. So, for the first six months babies should only be breastfed and even after introducing food to the baby continue on breastfeeding for at least a year.
What Is Good About Breastfeeding?
There are a lot of benefits to breastfeeding:
- It has natural antibodies which are important to protect babies from illnesses.
- It’s easily digested than formula milk which makes babies less constipated and gassy.
- It’s good for the moms too, it reduces the risk of breast cancer and diabetes.
Also, newly moms choose breastfeeding as a chance to bond with their newborn, and you can use a pump as well if you want family members to help you or if you’re going to leave them with someone for a while.
Why Formula Feeding?
Formula milk is also a healthy choice for your baby, and you’ll make sure your baby gets the best substitute for breast-milk (but don’t mix your own formula or give them cow’s milk).
What Is Good About Formula Feeding?
A lot of moms go with formula milk for many reasons:
- It’s more convenient because when a baby is formula-fed anyone can feed them anytime.
- It’s practical you can just prepare bottles yourself or other as it’s easier to prepare.
- Your Partner can easily help you out and also get to bond with the baby.
- You can start schedule feeding as babies take time to digest formula milk, so they don’t need to eat as often.
- You don’t need to worry much about what you eat, unlike breastfeeding you need to stay away from some foods that babies can’t handle.
No matter how you choose to feed your baby whether breast milk or formula or a combination of both. What matters the most is that your baby is well fed, cared for and loved. So, don’t feel guilty or let anyone make you feel guilty.